We are opening our gates Saturday December 29th from 1pm-4pm for a free community open house. Come play with the goats. Attend a cheese making demo in the Creamery at 2pm. There will be a short talk about suburban goat keeping at 3pm, also in the Creamery. Forecast shows a chance of rain, so wear your boots!
Mariposa Creamery at the Zane Grey Estate – 396 E Mariposa Street – Altadena, CA 91001 – Parking on Mariposa Street
Oh my. I’ve been busy on our facebook page but not very diligent about posting here. In fact it’s been almost a year to the day. Here’s a very brief review of what’s going on around here:
- Our cheesemaking classes have been packed and keeping us very busy. We continue to teach our 3-part series through the Institute of Domestic Technology. The fall series is mostly sold out at this point, but there is a new series starting in January 2013.
- Our cheesemaking classes have recently been featured in both Bon Appetit and Los Angeles Magazine! See our Press page for some links, but both of these complete pieces are only available in the print versions of the magazines.
- We had 4 perfect babies in the spring: Apple (in image), Poppyseed, Honeybee, and Chewy. There are many many photos of all 4 on our facebook page.
- We have been working toward opening our new restaurant in Altadena and recently finished the drawings for our Conditional Use Permit Application. We expect to file our application with LA County by the end of the year.
- We bought 70 acres in the Angeles National Forrest where we plan to expand our goating and make cheese for both of our restaurants. The new project is called Angeles Crest Creamery, and you can see photos here.
- Also, I continue to go to work every day as Director of Sales for Truesense Imaging.
When I review this list, I don’t feel so bad for not posting more!
I have this fantasy that 5 years from now we have a dozen or more families in Altadena operating homestead dairies. We buy and store hay collectively, share breeding stock, document local best practices, and coordinate vet visits so we can convince a real goat vet that its worth his time to come all the way out to Altadena. A girl can dream, right? Also, a girl can hold a workshop.
Here are the details:
Goat curious? Live in LA County? Interested in providing your family with milk, yogurt, cheese and butter from your own homestead dairy? Come learn more at this introductory workshop at Mariposa Creamery in Altadena. We will cover the legal and practical aspects of suburban dairying—from zoning to fencing and feed. Learn about the time investment and the benefits so you can decide if home dairying is right for your family. Tour a working home dairy in action and meet the goats.
This workshop is free and registration is not required. But you can rsvp on our facebook event page if you like:
10am – 12pm, Saturday, October 29th
Mariposa Creamery at the Zane Grey Estate
396 E Mariposa Street, Altadena